• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Im 24 and im really unfit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Arrow

Bluelight Crew
Hi guys, first post in this forum

Basically i want to make this post to look for suggestions on how to go about building my fitness levels up

Backround is im a 24 year old male of average build and body weight but my fitness is terrible - i had been working in office jobs for years and have been recently been made unemployed - i dont get much exercise and have a pretty bad diet.

I want to start playing football (soccer for you americans) but the problem is that after running around for more than five minutes i am out of breath and need a break (and drink of water)

I am sure this is down to a number of factors such as lack of exercise, unhealthy diet and the fact that I smoke and drink.

I am just looking for any thoughts or ideas from people here since its a healthy living forum.. i know there are obvious things that I need to change as stated above but I just cant find the motivation.

Cut the drinking and smoking, that will help alot. Then just start gradually doing more and more exercise to get yourself in shape. Don't go to the gym and do a 2 hour workout session on your first time and burn out and not go again fora while, better to warm up into heavy workouts.

weight training, cardio and a good diet will obviously boast good results.

If your playing soccer and need the extra stamina alternate between biking and running 6 days a week. Don't over do it though, start off with low intensity and then work your way up even if that means running just half a mile the first day.

Buy a small rowing machine like this:

IMGP0777.jpg

Mine is a bigger one than this, but it's the perfect lazyman's fitness machine. I do reps of 250 strokes on a high setting, plus you can do five or six different exercises for your upper body also. Costs maybe €50/100 new.

It won't pump you up, but it's good, vigorous exercise and works shit-loads of muscle groups. I'm not really into getting big, it's not my thing, so if that's what you want maybe look at lifting.

But, like it says in "Fight Club" - "Even a souffle can look pumped".

^ Love those things. Always gets my entire body feeling pumped and makes me sweat like crazy.

do some cardio on a treadmill for like 15-20 minutes.....

do light weight lifting. take it super easy on the amount of weight at first.

get lots of fresh air, go for walks.....

drinking can also make you feel really gross.

I'm no health-expert but here is what I'd suggest!

Cut back on the smoking and drinking a bit.

Make small changes! Take it gradually and one day at a time, or else you'll get overwhelmed and want to quit. Start by taking walks, then work up to a jog. I'd say maybe 30 min a day, 4 times a week to get started. I don't know much in the weight lifting department, so hopefully someone else can help you with that.

Just make small changes in your diet... don't try to eat stuff you don't like just because its healthy, you'll just be misrible. Find healthy food that you LOVE and only buy that!! Plan your meals ahead. Don't keep much junk food in the house.

Good luck!!! I just started getting back into healthy habits as of this morning (lol) after a 3 year hiatus, so I'm right there with ya :\ Hopefully we can both succeed in getting in shape! keep us updated.

Start out going for long walks. If you go for really long walks (like an hour and a half) it will not be too strenuous on your body but it will be great exercise.

The best advice that some posters have said above is take it slow. Gradually build up to intense workouts, don't just jump into the thick of it. If you start easy it will add up to something fun and good to do.

The gradual buildup is how its done. Don't expect yourself to be able to run a mile the first time, especially if you've been smoking and not exercising for years. Start off just walking a mile or something, anything until you're tired. Even if it's not really that much. Don't be embarassed, you gotta start somewhere. You gradually do a little bit more each time, add something extra on to the end each day. You will be surprised how quickly you can get in shape if you do this.

The other thing is don't take more than a day or two off of your workouts. Your body can get out of shape in a couple days, and you will be able to feel the difference.

Two things.

One, do not wait for motivation. That's not how it works. You're building a new habit. Once you get to the gym, or get outside and running, THEN motivation will kick in. Just focus on getting to the point where the activity will happen; motivation will come naturally at that point. I can't tell you how frequently I've been tired from work, or frustrated, and am able to find a million reasons not to go to the gym; the answer is always very simple: once I get into the gym, I will feel differently and will go through the workout.

Two, have and keep a schedule. EVERY DAY set aside the same time for exercise. No exceptions, no excuses. Too sore? Do a different exercise, or a lighter workout. Too tired? You'll perk up once you start moving. Too unmotivated? Be unmotivated while sitting in a gym then. Every time you come up with an excuse to procrastinate, respond with a reason NOT to procrastinate. And go through this thought process while driving/walking/getting dressed for the gym.

That's all there is to it. After the first week or two you'll feel healthier, and it'll all come easier. After four weeks it'll be habitual.

Just do it! :D

Sorry, that's about all I got. Just do it. Every day.

And yes, stop smoking damn it.

Two things.

One, do not wait for motivation. That's not how it works. You're building a new habit. Once you get to the gym, or get outside and running, THEN motivation will kick in. Just focus on getting to the point where the activity will happen; motivation will come naturally at that point. I can't tell you how frequently I've been tired from work, or frustrated, and am able to find a million reasons not to go to the gym; the answer is always very simple: once I get into the gym, I will feel differently and will go through the workout.

Two, have and keep a schedule. EVERY DAY set aside the same time for exercise. No exceptions, no excuses. Too sore? Do a different exercise, or a lighter workout. Too tired? You'll perk up once you start moving. Too unmotivated? Be unmotivated while sitting in a gym then. Every time you come up with an excuse to procrastinate, respond with a reason NOT to procrastinate. And go through this thought process while driving/walking/getting dressed for the gym.

That's all there is to it. After the first week or two you'll feel healthier, and it'll all come easier. After four weeks it'll be habitual.

I love the suggestions, nice one mate.

I'm a big fan of push ups, pull ups, dips, leg lifts, and bike riding. No, it doesn't turn you into a monster body builder, but rips you up, and pumps the muscles, while getting the heart pumping.

I just wanna echo everyone else: stop smoking and drinking ASAP. This will help you more than anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.